1,3-Dihydroxyacetone/Dihydroxyacetone/DHA, also known as glycerone, is a simple saccharide (a triose) with formula C3H6O3. 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone/Dihydroxyacetone ( DHA) is primarily used as an ingredient in sunless tanning products. It is often derived from plant sources such as sugar beets and sugar cane, and by the fermentation of glycerin.
DHA is a hygroscopic white crystalline powder. It has a sweet cooling taste and a characteristic odor. It is the simplest of all ketoses and has no chiral center or optical activity. The normal form is a dimer (2,5-bis(hydroxymethyl)-1,4-dioxane-2,5-diol) which is slowly soluble in one part water and 15 parts ethanol. When freshly prepared, it reverts rapidly to the monomer in solution.
1,3-Dihydroxyacetone/Dihydroxyacetone/DHA was first recognized as a skin coloring agent by German scientists in the 1920s. The sunless tanner dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is currently the most popular way of gaining a tan-like appearance without sun exposure as it carries fewer health risks than any of the other available methods.
|Product Name:||1,3-DihydroxyacetoneDihydroxyacetone / DHA||Test method:||HPLC|
|Grade:||Cosmetic grade 98%||CAS NO:||96-26-4|
|Appearance:||White Powder||Shelf Life:||2 years|
1. 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone/Dihydroxyacetone/DHA is a self-tanning agent used in cosmetics designed to provide a tanned appearance without the need for sun exposure.
2. 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone/Dihydroxyacetone/DHA is also a uV protector and a color additive.
3. 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone/Dihydroxyacetone/DHA as a self-tanning agent, it reacts with amino acids found on the skin’s epidermal layer.
How does it work?All effective sunless tanners contain DHA. It is a colourless 3-carbon sugar that when applied to the skin causes a chemical reaction with amino acids in the surface cells of the skin producing a darkening effect DHA does not damage skin as it only affects the outermost cells of the epidermis (stratum corneum).
Dihydroxyacetone can be used in cosmetics, which can prevent excessive evaporation of skin moisture, protect skin from moisture and prevent ultraviolet radiation.
What formulations of DHA are available?
There are many self-tanning preparations containing DHA on the market and many will claim to be the best formulation available.Consider the following points when deciding upon the preparation most suitable for you.
* Concentrations of DHA can range from 2.5 to 10% or more (mostly 3-5%). This may coincide with product ranges that list shades as light, medium, or dark. A lower concentration (lighter shade) product may be better for new users as it is more forgiving of uneven application or rough surfaces.
* Some formulations will also contain moisturisers. Users with dry skin will benefit from this.
* Alcohol-based preparations will be more suitable for oily-skinned users.
* DHA provides some protection against UV rays (UVA). To increase UV protection some products also include a sunscreen.
* Alpha hydroxy acids promote the sloughing off of excess dead skin cells so should improve the evenness of colouration.
* Other ingredients may be added to facilitate application or to make the colour last longer.
Hot tags: 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone (DHA); 1 3 dihydroxyacetone;China 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone Manufacturer;China 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone Factory;China 1,3-Dihydroxyacetone Supplier;1,3-Dihydroxyacetone Powder;1,3-Dihydroxyacetone Price;Cas 96-26-4